Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Fifth

Here we are at five days in a row. See, I could do it.

To answer: yes, my mom was temporarily sick. H1N1 for a week, followed by a secondary pneumonia that required hospitalization. She was really sick but made a full recovery. My dad met me in the ER. The three of us were alone together for hours on end, for the first time in several years. It was good considering the circumstances. Then it was bad because it got complicated. They made a movie about it; did you see it?? Meryl Streep even drives a Highlander.

Today was crazy at work. I got finished a little after 7 (that's radiologist speak for late). Erica had already made dinner and accomplished baths. I swept in for the final hurrah, read books, then they crashed. I don't remember sitting today, but I must have for a few minutes at a time. I did eat. It was a fun day.

I am still really frustrated with PICC lines in babies. It is the most technically challenging but banal of our procedures in IR. Bread and butter. Several a day. Technologists standing around tapping their toes. But the smaller the baby, the more difficult. Sometimes I feel like I'm gaining ground, but then I'll have trouble with a few. Like today. It is so frustrating to be in this position. Board certified, mid-year fellow, experienced, looking at another fellowship for these types of procedures, and totally screwing it up. I am capable of so many things, but that doesn't matter when I'm at the plate for one of these little kids. It WILL get better. My mantra.

I am learning so much. As the only fellow in the department, people bring me their interesting cases. They ask me questions. We look stuff up. I kind of know all the kids in the hospital - at least their images. I may never see them face to face, but I have them memorized. Lest you think it is all hard PICC lines, this is a most rewarding year to get to experience.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Thanks for the clarification about your mom. Most people do not respond to comments left on their blog...they just soldier on. That's one reason I do not suscribe to most people's blogs by RSS...but yours, I do!

Sorry for the depressing email earlier. (I emailed you at your mac address...do you check that one? If not, just ignore the email...it's just a lot of whining on my part.)I had just finished a sad book and I was not in a good state of mind.

One thing about PICC lines is risk of infection...my stepdad was infected with MRSA and VRE through lines. He died this February but it was really complications from MS, not the infections, that ultimately caused his demise. Okay, why is this turning depressing again? Sorry! You have a super hard, rewarding job, and I am PROUD of you!