Monday, December 15, 2008

Steamboat

We are on our ski vacation, which means we're away from Ross for four nights!  Erica has called to check several times, the explanation for which (we all know) goes way beyond her shared genetics to include her and my personalities.  

So this is one of the most gorgeous places in the world, and I have taken a total of zero pictures.  It's also the land of single digits, ergo my refusal to remove gloves unless E's life depended on it.  I can fold and unfold a trail map with my gloves on.  I don't think I can manage the little shutter release on her tiny camera.  And I would most likely drop said camera, as I have done the ski poles, ChapStick, and trail map.  

The two of us are kind of a comedy of errors.  [Interruption - the Wheel of Fortune answer just came across as "beginner and intermediate ski slopes."]  With these long sticks firmly attached to our feet, which themselves are made completely immobile with bindings, I mean ski boots, it is nearly impossible to ski the long one-degree uphill grade that comprises the lift line.  Seriously, when very few people are skiing, can't they just make the line chutes obsolete?  Those of us who are weak and novice have a hard time cross country skiing to the start of the non-existent line.  E has fallen in such situations several times.

Take a step back: we have already spilled a full Starbucks coffee at the Little Rock airport, lost and next-day found a credit card, and lost my skis.  How do you lose skis?  Well, we're riding up the gondola this morning when I look out at the skis in the little holder.  There are two professional pairs for the guys who are serious and wearing helmets, there's a pair that is labeled "E Braswell," and there's a pair that looks just like mine labeled "JT."  So we ride the gondola back down and walk over to the scene of the crime.  I replace JT's skis, but mine are long gone.  They are EXACTLY the same skis and poles.  We probably even wear the same shoe size, because this person didn't return these after a couple of hours of us watching for them.  So we go to the rental place and they tell me to walk back down to pick up JT's which can be refitted for my boots.  Each step in this process equals 1-2 flights of stairs in ski boots.

So the good stuff.  We are staying at the Steamboat Grand, which is appropriately named.  It is at the base of the mountain and super close to the lifts.  Our room is two rooms in one: a large king hotel room with gas logs and awesome bathroom, and a big sitting room with gas logs, a full kitchen, couches, window seats, huge dining room table, and its own full bath.  Two flat screens.  I mean, the Duggars couldn't stay here, but a lot of Frances could.  I don't know how I made the mistake of booking this place!  I am way too cheap.  

Recap: 
We had a routine flight to Denver, where we then sat on the concrete for almost 2 hours.  But we made the connection to Hayden/Steamboat airport and had a quick flight to the mountain.  Our shuttle took about 30 minutes.  We walked around a little last night and ate at the Gondola Pub and Grille, but it was 0 degrees and dark.  Fairly early night.

Today, we had breakfast in the lodge (included, for those of your keeping track of my travel agent skills).  We came up to the room and put 7 layers on.  Okay, not quite, but a lot.  We started with a couple of green runs - we got off the lift at a half-way point that says "BEGINNERS - EXIT."  That was smart as it turned out.  Anyway, after that we rode the gondola and did some longer greens.  The snow is awesome, and this mountain is gorgeous.  I haven't been anywhere like this.  Very spread out, wide runs, but tons of trees.  I think it was then that we took a break and then chose the wrong skis.  That realization led to lunch.  The next time, we rode the gondola again but then kept catching lifts up higher and higher on the way down the runs.  We ended up at the top of the mountain - 10,384 feet at Sunshine Peak.  From there, we got to experience some perfectly rolling blues with fresh powder.  We went to the top twice, and then it took two more lifts and series of runs to get to the front side of the mountain and home.  Whew.  

One more debacle - I busted on a shortcut walkway to the grocery store.  Oh well, we were able to make dinner and relax in our condo.  Tomorrow is more skiing and pick a restaurant day.  We are sore.  

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You think you're sore now? Just wait!

Glad to hear you're having a great time. & I'm envious. If we get anything here it will be loads of ice. Bleh!

Abcdpdx said...

ha ha! I think if you grew up in Arkansas you can only be so good at skiing, unless it's water skiing. Dave and I mostly stick to xc skiing these days. We flailed down a black diamond ONCE.

Melissa said...

Don't cause any avalanches out there!

Leah said...

Ha! Love the lost skis story! Thanks for the great blog.