Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ride

So I lasted on skis for a day and a half.  At that point, Erica and I were really skiing well on the top of the mountain blues.  There was a ton of powder from overnight Monday, so that made it more strenuous.  I was wearing out, though.  My shins felt like they were being stood upon by a 300 pound football player.  We made it down to the base, and I promptly turned in the skis.  I don't know if it's an improper fit, bad technique, or just my gimpy anatomy, but ski boots are hell. 

Wisest decision of the trip: trade for a snowboard.  Beginning anew isn't easy, but it was so much more fun.  I took yesterday afternoon off, then spent some time wandering around the base area.  Which was lucky because I found the best restaurant.  It is Cafe Diva; we both thought it was the best meal we have ever eaten.  It's fun when everything comes together and congeals into a perfect evening.

Today was a full day of school for me.  It was so much fun!  I didn't get as frustrated as I thought I would.  I feel like I did learn the basics and could progress to the next level if, miraculously, we awoke to 14 feet of snow and couldn't leave tomorrow.   I'm grateful there were no video cameras.

After school and during the early evening, I drank 32 ounces of Gatorade, 8 ounces of water, and 16 ounces of milk.  I think it was a dehydrated day.  I was shedding layers throughout my little school time.  Learning is hard work!

We stayed in tonight so that we could rest and pack.  Erica tore up her hip on a fall due to nasty patch of ice.  She is hobbling around.  I am going to get her a little bell to ring.  Injury will make for a fun travel day!  

All in all, a successful trip despite a few disasters.  We are missing the boy and our little home life.  I'm sure he is having a blast, but it's time to hug our little man!

5 comments:

Rainbow Momma said...

I snowboarded for the first time several years ago. Don't think I'll ever use skis again. Hee hee

Welcome home.

Jess said...

LOVE snowboarding. It is so much better then skiing. Glad you guys had fun on a much deserved vacation.

Anonymous said...

I concur... LOVE the snowboard. Good call on making the switch!

Melissa said...

Ahem... After seeing your FB pic I believe you need to update this!

emily and adrian said...

Snow boarding is fun, even if you suck at it like me! Plus, I admit I just feel cool on a snowboard.
Glad you had so much fun...a well deserved trip!