Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Excerpt

Here's an excerpt from the seven-paragraph (SEVEN!) email that was in my inbox when Ross was picked up from school.  

I'm not including the paragraphs that suggested we get professional help.  Or the one that said an occupational therapist might be able to prescribe a "sensory diet."  Names have been changed to protect the innocent.  

[K**** said he did try to bite A**** on the finger today, but it didn’t leave a mark.  She didn’t write it up, and I’m not going to count it as one of his three “chances”.  I have let her know that if he bites at school, he has to be picked up, and after three occurrences, he won’t be able to come back.  I really hope it doesn’t get that far.  You know I really love Ross; we all do.  It seems to me like a very severe consequence, but I have to make sure the other children are safe.  I can’t put the church in a position of liability.

 

We remain open to any other suggestions you might have to help Ross get through this difficult time.  He is a smart, sweet boy, and we will do anything we can to help him (and you two).]



2 comments:

Leah said...

Ugh...just the letter you wanted to get to REALLY make your day. How in the heck does a daycare worker have time to write seven paragraphs about kids being...kids? When I worked in daycare I can reassure you I was doing good to keep eveeryone fed, hugged, and changed.

Anonymous said...

seems like 3 chances is kind of harsh! i think my nephew did more biting than that and so did most of the kids in his class! it just happens!