Saturday, August 13, 2005

Nation

It's been a while yet again. I'm assuming you're getting used to the delays. So it's Saturday and I am home alone. I slept until 10. What a relief! Dory and I are hanging out, slowly crossing things off the list, and enjoying the coffee. I had an e-mail from my friend Melissa Mann that has sat in my inbox (unread) for a couple of weeks. It is by Katha Pollitt, published in the Nation. The premise is that some prochoicers think it would be okay to "let Roe go" in an effort to bring it to the states and energize the people. Whatever! Here's the last paragraph:

"Legislative control might be more "democratic"--if you believe that a state senator balancing women's health against a highway for his district represents democracy. But would it be fair? The whole point about constitutional protection for rights is to guarantee them when they are unpopular--to shield them from majority prejudice, opportunistic politicians, the passions and pressures of the moment. Freedom of speech, assembly, worship and so on belong to us as individuals; our neighbors, our families and our legislators don't get to vote on how we use these rights or whether we should have them in the first place. Alabamans may be largely antichoice, but what about the ones who aren't? Or the ones who are but even so don't want to die in childbirth, bear a hopelessly damaged baby or drop out of school at 15--or 25? If Roe goes, whoever has political power will determine the most basic, intimate, life-changing and life-threatening decision women--and only women--confront. We will have a country in which the same legislature that can't prevent some clod from burning a flag will be able to force a woman to bear a child under whatever circumstances it sees fit. It is hard to imagine how that woman would be a free or equal citizen of our constitutional republic."

I agree - I don't want some Reverend Governor or Southern-Baptist-Dad-of-Twelve-(Home-Schooled)-Who-Happens-To-Be-A-State-Senator/Rep to decide what I can or can't do. Or my patients.

Enough of that.

Our friends, Tara and Becca, are getting married at the Historic Woman's City Club. How apropos! Check it out. I'm so proud!

We have season tickets to the Rep. If you ever want to go, let us know and we'll make it a night.

Off to the errands and chores.

No comments: