Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Movin' On Up

I am really starting to enjoy my residency adventure. This week is my second week on CT, and Dr. Shah is out of town. This means that I can learn and progress in a much more laid-back environment (i.e. wear scrubs). I am dictating a lot more, too. It is so nice to feel comfortable dictating.

My first call was the hardest I have ever worked. We did not stop for 24 hours. I actually had a pretty good time, and I know I'm learning soooo much. Call is a really good time to learn and to be a team with the other residents. It is a study in efficiency. You have so much to do, and it never stops. The hospital got four traumas in a row at about midnight. The ER was packed. Everything was full steam ahead. I carry a cell phone (direct line from the ER) and a pager. I would love to know how many phone conversations I had in that one 24-hour period. My upper level, Amna, kept telling me that it's not usually so busy. That is definitely good news. I can't imagine all calls being that bad. So now I'm over the fear of my first call. I am not dreading the calls any more! Hooray.

Not much else is happening. We hung out with Keller Friday night, then I had call Saturday. Erica had call Sunday - I went to Keller's for dinner that night after I lounged most of the day (recovery mode). Last night, we fixed dinner and enjoyed hanging out together.

Erica is blasting through the 6th Harry Potter book. I read through about a third of it but quit a few weeks ago when I started studying and crashing early. I'm ready to start it again.

I'm thinking about getting a new computer. I love Erica's PowerBook so much that I might get one of my own. I'll use it for PowerPoint at church and at work (radiologists love images and presentations!). It'll be nice to have my iTunes on my computer, too.

Not much else... Life is just clicking along. Can't complain about that! Dory says hi to all you blog buddies. Come visit!

No comments: