Saturday, January 15, 2011

Normal

It's hard to believe, but I'm adjusting to my new normal here in Cincinnati. Some thoughts about the first two weeks:

It is colder here than at home, but it's true that expectations and preparation play an important role. When you're ready for it, it doesn't bother you. I have a strange sense of enjoyment when the weather is going to be really cold and snowy. And I'm surprised that the people here aren't more prepared for snow. Roads, schools, grocery stores, etc - they all take a hit just like at home. I've been told you have to proceed a couple more hours north for the true winter-ready folk. Parking outside is not a big deal. Parking just across the street is not a big deal.

The apartment is a good fit. It had been a while since I lived somewhere with radiant heat (ahem, Gorgas), but it sure is nice to have tall ceilings, hardwood floors, and a real claw foot tub. The sun room is a perfect place for my bike and car seats. Going outside and down the stairs for laundry is not a big deal.

The job is great. I am not overly taxed, but I am busy. The days feel complete. I am learning and sharing knowledge. I keep taking Evernotes to try to remember how to set up for and perform certain procedures. The attendings are friends. The techs are fun. The atmosphere is collegial, and they appreciate my sense of humor. Perhaps best of all, the four IR docs let me be one of the guys. We make dirty jokes and go out drinking after work together. Hangovers are not off limits as conversation topics.

The hospital is picky, though. These people scrub their hands three times (we prefer once). They do not one, but three timeouts for every procedure. They go nuts about badges, isolation, and protocols of every type. And the scrubs are kept in a stupid machine that delivers "credits," but woe to those who wear a size "small" and expect to retrieve in the 7:00 AM range. Sheesh.

Technology makes life easy. GPS in the Pilot is used daily. Skype is used daily. Oh, what a difference. I have a nearby Whole Foods, a nearby gym, a nearby Target, and a nearby movie theater. I've read two books and seen two movies already. OK, if you must know: A Moveable Feast, The Sun Also Rises, True Grit, The King's Speech. These are things I don't get to do at home.

It's kind of a simple life. I have with me only what I need, and I prepare my own breakfast and dinner. A lot of nights, I have cheese and crackers and berries for dinner.

My family and I are adjusting well, but it's never the same. I love being here. I just need the best of both worlds to coexist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I would like to talk to you about an article I wrote that, being a parent, I think you would enjoy (on early childhood education). I'd love it if you could drop me an email quick so I can give you more details if you're interested or if you were interested in new content for your blog.

Emily
epatterson@primroseschools.com